Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The First Cut is the Deepest

My two favorite blog-gals , flea over at One Good Thing and frog from frogblog are at odds because flea supports male circumcision (to the extent that her sons are circumcised) and frog appears to hate the entire notion from the depths of her kind-hearted soul.*

Flea has removed a posting about attending an upcoming bris that set the whole thing off.

I hope that these two nice people can reconcile their differences and continue to entertain me...because after all, it's all about entertaining me.

The main problem I have is that I posted a great riff about attending a bris, the escalating costs of circumcision and some other smart ass comments that I wish I would have posted here. I won't even try to re-create them here.

Frog is very passionate about this issue. She is entitled to her position, and I respect her very much. That being said, if we were sire another son (virtually impossible at this point) he would probably be circumcized. Do you know why? BECAUSE IT'S OUR DECISION TO MAKE!!

Artist James' wife, Kathy**, is against it. We still hug when we meet and don't seem to be at each other's throats about it. If they were to ever have a son, I wouldn't dare ask about his foreskin. Do you know why? BECAUSE I WASN'T BORN IN A FUCKING BARN!! I RESPECT THE PRIVACY OF MY FRIENDS, NO MATTER HOW CLOSE WE ARE!! IT IS THEIR DECISION TO MAKE!! IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS !! (a novel concept in these times, surely).

I realize the "True Meaning of Circumcision" has been lost over the centuries, (I am so fucking funny), but think of it in these terms, it's offering something to God that is permanent, irreversible and extremely meaningful. My guess is that my parents had it done to me because it was just done. That's not the best excuse, but there you go. I'm very happy with my penis, and I can't say that I losing my foreskin without my express written consent has harmed me in any way. Parents have to make agonizing decsions about their children everyday. That's what being a parent is all about, like it or not.

**I would say, however, if she let me sire a son with her, I'd let her have her way about the circumcision. WHEW WHEW!! I am such a pig!!!!

*I constantly refer to frog's heart as a kind heart because she, in fact, has a kind heart.

No comments: