Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My Gal Sal



It was probably her roles in those Burt Reynolds movies in the late '70's and early '80's that made me fall in love with Sally Field.

On Sunday, Sally won the Emmy for Lead Actress in a Drama for her role in "Brothers and Sisters". My wife TIVO's the show, and I'll occassionaly watch it with her. It's a good show, and I like Sally's role in it.

She is a marvelous actress.

The first part of her acceptance speech was very good, and I think everyone would agree with her sentiment. Then she sort of went off the rails, and after fumbling very uncomfortably, made a statement that if mothers ruled the world, there would be no wars. She used some language to emphasize her point, which was bleeped out by the network broadcasting the show.

I don't think she was 'censored'. Her point was made. FOX did not cut or excise the statement, they just bleeped out some words that may have (or have not) offended some people.

The person doing the bleeping had less than 7 sevens to make a decision. In light of FCC rulings in the aftermath of the Janet Jackson Superbowl debacle, it seems that networks tend to error on the side of caution in these things.

I think Sally Field is a marvelous actress. She is darn pretty, and I like to be entertained by her. I have never looked to her as a source of my faith, news, or opinion; but she is certainly entitled to have her own point of view.

I think that her initial statement was enough. Subtle, poignant, and without need of embellishment or further explication. Her follow-up comments were hurried and not terribly thought-out, although they expressed the same point as her earlier statement.

No comments: