Thursday, February 15, 2007

Alcohol gets the blame, again.

From the 'Human Nature' column in Slate Magazine:

San Francisco's mayor, exposed as an adulterer, said he'll seek treatment for alcoholism. The woman in question worked in his administration; so did her husband. This is the same mayor who 1) unilaterally authorized gay marriages and 2) recently "dated a woman who wasn't old enough to drink legally." His statement: "I will be a better person without alcohol in my life. I take full responsibility for my personal mistakes, and my problems with alcohol are not an excuse for my personal lapses in judgment." Supporters' view: Stipulating that booze is no excuse proves he's sincere. Cynical view: Stipulating that booze is no excuse is the first rule of booze-blaming P.R.

You know, I've fought my own alcohol-related battles over the last several years. While I've behaved poorly under the influence, my misbehavior was confined to the loutish behavior of the drunk and stupid. At no time have I conducted an affair with my best friend's wife or dated underage girls.

If I were to conduct an affair with my best friend's wife or date underage girls, it would be because I'm a characterless shitheel, plain and simple.

Let's put the blame where it belongs, and leave my good friend alcohol out of this.

No comments: