Monday, February 12, 2007

You say Obama, I say Obama

Barack Obama announced his presidential candidacy over the weekend at the old capitol building in Springfield. Keeping to my true nature, it was too cold for me to go.

I've mentioned before that I'm a republican, and even though Obama is from Illinois, he will probably not get my 'favorite son' vote. As much as his non-partisan, live the American Dream message appeals to me, I believe that we are far apart on some other issues.

Be that as it may, I couldn't help but to chuckle at all the capital "R" republicans who did not appreciate the Obama campaign's references to Abraham Lincoln.

"Obama is a Democrat, and Lincoln was a Republican" they are quick to point out (especially Rudy Giuliani).

Here's a quick note to all the Republicans out there whining:

Your 'Republican' Party and Lincoln's Republican Party do not bear any resemblance whatsoever. In fact, if I may be so bold (and this is MY blog, so I will), your 'Republican' Party doesn't look like Ronald Reagan's Republican Party, either.

Ronnie may have been the benchmark conservative, but you guys sold your souls and asses to the extreme-thinkers. At least Reagan was his own man, flawed or not.

I don't know how far Obama will go with his candidacy, but I do know this: There's nobody in the 'Republican' Party who commands attention and is being listened to like Barack Obama.

Bring me THAT guy, the Republican who can stand on his own, not cave to the extreme ends of the party, and actually cares about the central, and I'll get behind him and push.

No comments: