Tuesday, November 21, 2006

T-t-t-talkin' 'bout Draft Registration*

As much as I've lost faith in the current administration, I haven't gone completely lefty.

Back in 2004, one of the Democratic drumbeats was that the Republicans would reinstate the draft to shore up weakening Reserve and Active Duty numbers. This was viewed as a scare tactic (and believe me, as a Republican, I know a scare tactic when I see one) by the left to attract not only young voters, but also the parent of young voters and solidify the anti-war vote.
As we all now (even the Democrats), this was empty campaign rhetoric. Not even we Republicans thought reinstating the draft would be a good idea. If President Bush would have campaigned to reinstate the draft, I would have voted for Nader (sorry, never Kerry...we all know why, right?).

Yesterday, Representative Charles B Rangel (Dem-NY) reiterated his desire to reinstate the draft, if even for the 'back into it' logic that it would lead public sentiment against the war.

How effin' dumb do you think we are, anyway?


YOUTH IS WASTED ON THE YOUNG

Speaking of young voters, the two precincts that serve the Northern Illinois University campus (in the heart of Flyover IL) had approximately 11 percent registered voter turnout. This is laughable if only because these kids are the first ones to skip class to to attend a peace rally, especially if it involves a keg.

Don't get me wrong, I skipped a lot of classes and drank a LOT of beer. But I voted.

*When I was a senior in high school, registration for Selective Service started back up (thanks, Jimmy Carter) and I penned a little ditty sung to the tune of "My Generation" by The Who. This was before I became a Who fan. Through a small loophole in the law, I wasn't actually required to register, but I did anyway, because all my friends had to and it was only fair that I joined them in Iran to free the hostages.

Which reminds me, if we had only paved Iran back in 1979-80 like we should have, we wouldn't be mired in this shit now.

No, really, I prefer peace to war. Sadly, life is a lot like hockey, and sometimes you just have to drop the gloves.

No comments: