Wednesday, November 22, 2006

When Ignorance is bliss...

...tis folly to be wise.

This week, six Muslim imams were taken off a flight from Minneapolis after a number of them were witnessed to have participated in their usual evening prayers.

(Remind me to pray the rosary the next time I'm waiting for a flight).

The knuckleheads who allowed this to happen should be either disciplined or fired. This is America, darn it, and Muslims are allowed to prayer as they see fit.

I'm really sorry that this happened. It points to ignorance and intolerance, two things that I wish I knew more about, but don't want to bother to learn. (The last sentence was a joke).

But here's where I take issue with the imams:

From the Chicago Tribune:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Six Muslim clerics removed from a US Airways flight said Tuesday they were victims of discrimination and called for a boycott of the airline.

The imams were removed from the flight to Phoenix on Monday night after three of them said their normal evening prayers in the terminal in Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport before boarding, said Omar Shahin, president of the North American Imams Federation. They were among the 150 imams who attended a federation meeting in Minneapolis.

"The police came and take us off the plane in front of all the passengers in a very [humiliating] way," said Shahin. "I never felt bad in my life like yesterday. It was the worst moment in my life when I see six imams, six leaders in this community, humiliated."

Yes, Mr. Shahin, you were discriminated against. Yes, Mr. Shahin, you were humiliated. As I wrote above, the people responsible for this should be in big trouble.

Where I have a problem with you, Mr Shahin, is where you state "I never felt bad in my life like yesterday. It was the worst moment in my life when I see six imams, six leaders in this community, humiliated."

I can think of a worse day for you Mr Shahin. How about September 11, 2001, when 19 of your fellow Muslims killed over 3500 innocent people in the name of your religion? Were you humiliated by their actions? Did you feel bad? Probably not, because TO THIS VERY DAY your organization has done NOTHING to condemn or prevent continued violence against Israel or the US because of the intolerance your faith has of our culture.

You were wronged, and that angers me. But don't whine about that the worst moment of your life. Islam and Western Culture seem to be similar in that it's always "me, me, me!"

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: